26 August 2010
12 August 2010
Credit to Djunaedi Hadiwidjaja (1968 FTJE student)
Prior to the establishment of the FTJE in 1968, Satya Wacana Christian University (UKSW) had already established a Faculty of Mathematics and Science (FIPIA) in 1962.
One of the lecturers at the time was Rev. Evan Lewis, M.Sc, who was sent by the New Zealand National Council of Churches
Rev. Lewis taught Calculus in FIPIA during the period 1962-1965, prior to Rev. Fred van Emmerik’s arrival in November 1964
Excerpts taken from "Encounter" (Presbyterian Church of Australia newsletter)
The establishment of FIPIA provided the foundation for the later founding of FTJE.
In the July 1972 issue of "Encounter" Rev. Fred van Emmerik wrote:
"In order to fit in with existing Departments at nearby State Universities, and also to make the best possible use of our own Physics Department, it was decided to specialize in Eletrical Engineering. The greatest need seemed to be in that field. "
Quoted from Mr Emmerik's farewell message in Bahasa:
"Kita mempunyai tugas yang luhur, yaitu mengembangkan dan menyebarkan pengetahuan manusia. Segala kemajuan manusia didasarkan atas pengetahuan yang makin bertambah ; pengetahuan tentang Alam, tentang masyarakat dan yang paling penting, pengetahuan tentang manusia dan hubungannya dengan Tuhan."
07 August 2010
Translation: Bath for the natives in Salatiga. Perhaps Muncul or Kalitaman area.
Thanks to Teguh Aji for the translation and photo.
Teguh Aji Badplaats = pemandian
voor Inlander = untuk kaum pribumi
te Salatiga = di Salatiga
Loosely translated "Salatiga Coat of Arms". Perhaps there is significant explanation of those 3 stars with Salatiga?
This one below appeared in 1940 map by the Dutch colonial government.
And the emblem today. The motto is in Sanskrit, meaning "Be happy all the people!"
(credit: wikipedia). The phrase "ÇRÎR=ASTU SWASTI PRAJÂBHYAH" is taken from the Monolith of Plumpungan. The "elephant" is Ganesha, symbolising education.
06 August 2010
Full credit to www.salatiga.nl
The Salatiga Mission owes its origin to the work of Ms. Elise Yohana Le Jolle (1824-1906), Mother of the Salatiga Mission.
She started the word of truth from spreading, after her husband, Van Vollenhoven who had left the service due to illness (he was former director of the Military Hospital in Ambarawa), became administrator of the estate Simo, east of the road from Salatiga to Boyolali.
In 1912 there were three residences in Semarang, Pekalongan, Rembang, item 10 items 24 bijgemeenten where teachers and helpers were employed. There were also a number of hawkers that thousands of Bibles and Bible Books and other Christian literature distributed.
From the joint work of the Salatiga Mission (Mission Ermelo) and Neukirchener Mission, in 1937 the Gereja Kristen Jawa Tengah Utara (GKJTU) arose.
- van den End, Ragi Carita gereja Sejarah Di Indonesia Volume 2 - Google Books
- Neukirchener Mission eV . Neukirchener Mission eV . - Geschichte - Geschichte
Central market of Salatiga "Pasar Besar". There had been few fires and rebuilding of this market. Today it stretches through Jalan Jendral Sudirman and is very busy. In fact each morning the stalls would extend to the main road - which they need to clear at 7am.
This one is a later picture (in the 60's) just before the big fire.
Lapangan Pancasila (Pancasila Square), was also known as "Kepatihan". The locals refer to this location as "Alun-alun".
There was a small monument there. This, later was rebuilt in 1976 and became the "Tugu Pancasila" (Pancasila Monument) to honour 3 heroes from Salatiga who died during the war.
This is a beautiful photo showing Jalan Kauman towards Solo/Boyolali from Jalan Diponegoro. The two buildings still exist as high schools, however they are blocked by newer constructions.
Overlooking mount Merbabu on a clear day, this is one of the most telling photo of Salatiga I have ever seen. It speaks a lot about the geography and character of the town - quiet, beautiful, and humble.
Thanks to Dede for sharing this in Facebook.
Date unknown. I would guess the 1960's
Taman Sari in Bus Station in the 60's. It is now a busy shopping complex opposing the twin building of a 4-star hotel.
- Stefanus Agus Setyo Wisnu
- Young photo studio
"Foto Young" is actually still around. The photo studio is located here.
The horse carriage or "Dokar" have survived the times. The government once tried to "modernize" and replace them with mini-buses. But this was opposed and with the help of UKSW student activists and notable figures like Arief Budiman the plan was withdrawn.
These Dokars are not mere tourist attraction like in many cities. They are a normal mode of transport used by the public.
A dokar passes along Taman Sari, which unfortunately got "modernized".
Photo credit: Ahmad Abdul Haq